Welcome to Art Portfolio!



Welcome to the Art Portfolio part of my blog.

Greetings once more. This is Aiyalina and this is the beginning of the new Art Portfolio module that I will be writing my blogs about from now on.

This term, I am expecting improvement just as great as the first term and even more. The first term, I got to explore my abilities as well as my inner art world, integrate them together and control it towards academic practice. I want to master the skill of making my art something usable in my career path.

While on holidays, I took a lot of time to appreciate art works like movies, shows and the philosophy of human thought with my friends. One movie that stood out and stayed in my head is the movie "A cure for wellness (2016)" directed by Gore Verbinski and written by Justin Haythe. It is a science fiction psychological horror film inspired by Thomas Mann's 1924 novel The Magic Mountain. (Han,  Angie, 2016). This movie made me think of eerily nostalgic vintage visuals and the theme of medicine and doctors which I can definitely use in my artwork in the future. I was astounded by every frame of the movie, how well were the visuals felt and shown. The liminal spaces when the character gets lost in the sauna 

or the use of water as negative space around a character while creating flotation effect.




 use of reflective surfaces in the movie to show the scene from a different view 




All pictures are screenshots from the movie.



During the the lesson, we made an icebreaker challenge to recreate the most iconic paintings and works of art into pictures made by ourselves and including our faces in it(if possible). 
I asked my friends Mouad and Narmina to group up with me and recreate Michelangelo's "The creation of Adam".

First, we took a picture of the background and the poses. These are unedited pictures.



Then, I used "Epik" app to cut out the poses on an empty background.



Lastly, I asked Narmina to do more angel poses and edited them in and made it all come together.

Then, I found an unsplashed picture of a picture frame on an empty background and made a variation of our recreation.







References:

Han, Angie (December 21, 2016). "Interview: Gore Verbinski on Returning to Horror With 'A Cure for Wellness'". [Retrieved March 2, 2017]

Comments

  1. Talk more about the films you mention here, they clearly had an effect on you but also state why. As I said in the session these posts need to show detail and thought - spending the extra time to improve them and demonstrate your understanding of the work you are looking at will help at your assessment.

    Complete your icebreaker and add this to your blog with commentary on what you did, working with your partner and process shots of constructing the recreation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Also add images to illustrate your text - these could be film stills for example from the films you mention in your post.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts