Developing Ideas (the object lesson)

This lesson we were given a box of objects to choose from and we were told to look at it from different angles and fill up a page with words that describe it and ideas that associate with the object. This was a good exercise, as it helped with the development of our major project.

I chose a clump of ropes. When I saw them, my first thoughts were that the clump looks like tied up snakes or worms and nothing else caught my eyes, so I chose it even though I knew that it will be hard to work with. 

This is my idea sheet. 



After brainstorming, Sam, our teacher, told us to be creative and document our objects in the most different states. And Sam helped me with documenting videos of my object thrown in air, dragged around and hanging from the staircase. This was very out of the box idea and it helped me see the object in it's full view.











After filming my object, I was advised another great idea to document it further but on paper with my own eyes and hands. I taped an A2 paper on the floor and took a stick with markers taped to it and started referencing all the materials I had from filming on the paper from afar to truly capture the full view and essence of the object and instead of focusing on the details.


I ended up with two drawings that helped me see shapes and forms that appeared to look for more associations with the object, which I wrote down on the idea sheet.






Comments

  1. Okay good effort, but what this post should be doing is thinking about how you cna use this in your project and the next step you could take with this.

    For example, if you used the Primitive theme, you could look at early drawings of sea creatures or mythical animals/creatures.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts