Experimental sketches

Continuing my portrait study, I made two more sketches of my peers while experimenting with media I'm using.
This is a sketch of Manuela, my classmate. It was made while she was working on her laptop while using charcoal on A4 paper. I mainly was adding pigment and not taking away as much, leaving the light spots untouched. Charcoal and pastel are one of my favourite media, although I have not much experience with it, I am looking forward to create more in the future. 

 

When Manuela left, Yusuf visited me and I asked him to so the same, I was inspired. I decided to try ink. I taped the borders and ink washed a thin layer of diluted ink, then I pushed myself to be loose and abstract because I wanted to do the opposite of what I did with Manuela, and put the darkest places first, such as hair, beard, clothes and added prominent facial features. After finishing with ink, I added white spots with white acrylic and I thought the borders were boring so I asked Yusuf to write his favourite quote in his mother language, he chose the "Hell is others"(1944) quote by Jean-Paul Sartre and wrote it in Moroccan Arabic language. 

Comments

  1. This is a bit better, would like to see more posts like this and more experiments as you get ready to make your outcomes.

    Remember what we discussed regarding the mixed media and sculpture pieces in your tutorial last week - your blog needs some of this work in terms of planning and outlines of what you are going to do.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts